Exhibitions, collections, series and projects are some of the ways to categorise my very varied amount of work. My art is very often intuitive, site-specific and/or experimental but created as part of a series, such as Beach Meditations and Nuances, or part of a thematic body of work (mostly presented as an exhibition):
Selected group exhibitions
2020 // RUST-EN-VREDE RESCUE, Fundraising Group Exhibition, Rust-en-Vrede Gallery, Durbanville, South Africa.
2019 // Nature Art Cube Exhibition ‘12x12x12+Nature’, Geumgang Nature Art Centre, Gongju, South Korea.
2018 // Water, Liebrecht Gallery, Somerset West, South Africa.
2017 // SPRING | UNTITLED. StateoftheArt Gallery, Cape Town, South Africa.
2015 // It’s in my Nature… Exhibition by Janet Botes & Jaco Coetzee. Liebrecht Gallery, Somerset West, South Africa.
2015 //Remembrance of Nature: 30 Nature Artists in the World, Geumgang Nature Art Centre, Gongju, S.Korea.
2014 // Equus. Equus Gallery, Cavalli Estate, R44 between Somerset West and Stellenbosch, South Africa.
2014 // The industrial Karoo: FEAR & LOSS, curated by Katie Barnard du Toit. Oliewenhuis Art Museum, “The Reservoir”, Bloemfontein, South Africa.
2013 // Pieces & Puzzles: Compositions of human expression inspired by nature. Lovell Gallery, Woodstock, South Africa.
2013 // Encounters Annual Wildlife exhibition at the Cape Gallery, Cape Town, South Africa.
2012 // Walk This Earth Alone, Gallery @ Grande Provence, Franschhoek, , South Africa.
2012 // HumanEarth III: First Material, US Gallery, University of Stellenbosch’s Woordfees, , South Africa.
2010 // VAN-Guard Winelands Group Exhibition, Durbanville Hills, South Africa. Curated and organized by VANSA.
2009 // Sangisa Sangisa, exhibition & group performance, VANSA Spin Space, Cape Town, South Africa.
2008 // Unified: Unpretty, Unclean, Underneath, Unnatural. Eat Your Words Artspace, Vereeniging, South Africa.
Projects / Curated exhibitions
In collaboration with amazing fellow artists, I’ve coordinated two environment-focused exhibitions, of which the most recent also included workshops and talks for the public by leading ecologists from the area.
During residencies I often also create a substantial amount of work, as can be seen for these residencies and projects:
- Tankwa Artscape, South Africa (May/June 2019).
- OPENLab2016, as part of the Programme for Innovation in Artform Development (PIAD), an initiative of the Vrystaat Arts Festival and University of the Free State. This included a week-long residency at MAP (Modern Art Projects) in Richmond. (July 2016): view the photos of my performance art piece.
- Stories of Rain (GNAP South Africa).
- Global Nomadic Art Project Korea II. Presented by Yatoo-i, South Korea. (August 2015).
- Thupelo workshop 2015: land art / photo project.
- Site_Specific International Land Art Biennale, Plettenberg Bay.